Does the idea of working for a progressive energy company and working with utility companies to keep the lights on sound BRIGHT to you? Are you interested in a career making the SMART GRID even SMARTER? Then energize your career with Alstom Grid!
ALSTOM Grid - With an increased demand for energy worldwide, and consumption forecasts predicting energy production increases of around 80% between 2006 and 2030*, Alstom Grid's dedicated teams combine their skills to deliver customer-valued solutions to build smarter, more stable, more efficient and environmentally friendly electricity grids worldwide.
ALSTOM Grid - Power Electronics Philadelphia (PEP) - Power Electronics and FACTS (Flexible AC Transmission Systems) technology is essential in optimizing and stabilizing the electric power transmission grids around the world. With its American Center of Excellence based in Philadelphia, ALSTOM is in a prime position to deliver the total solution (design, engineering, manufacturing, testing, and commissioning) for FACTS projects from the USA. Our growing team has an opening for a Power Electronics Design Team Lead in its Philadelphia, PA location!
The main purpose of the Valves Department is to design, supply, test, and commission complete thyristor valves for SVC (Static Var Compensator) installations world-wide with a focus in the Americas (North and South). Other products will include STATCOM and D-STATCOM in the future, based on VSC (Voltage Source Converter) technology. Other department responsibilities include the mechanical design of SVC systems, buildings, and substations using modern 3D tools such as Pro/ENGINEER and Solid Works.
The main purpose of the Power Electronics Design Team Lead is to lead a team of approximately 3 to 4 engineers (under the direction of the Valves Department Manager) within the ALSTOM US power electronics unit, based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, with the objective to deliver the project pipeline on-time and within the allocated budgets. Also anticipate future market needs and support efforts to capture new projects.
This position is also responsible for:
- Assist the Valves Department Manager to select, train, motivate, and develop the Power Electronics Design Team in order to improve technical expertise and provide the Business Unit with the required competencies and performances, with the right person available at the right time.
- Identify tasks and assignments of power electronics engineers in the team
- Analyse, define, advice, and implement the modern technological solutions and improvements for new valves products in order to reduce costs and provide well-optimized industrial processes, systems, and products
- Support the R&D team to industrialize new products
- Maintain design files and documentation for existing and future thyristor valves
- Identify technological issues and potential difficulties and offer solutions
- Perform factory acceptance tests (FAT) on thyristor valves and cooling systems using ALSTOM instructions. Witness and review test work done by contract manufacturers
- Work with vendors and subcontractors to resolve technical issues that may arise in production or installation
- Gain familiarity with the field installations and the commissioning process. Actively support those efforts on an as needed basis supporting the commissioning team in new projects and the service teams in existing projects
- Lead efforts for field repair and routine maintenance of valve and cooling equipment
- Support the sourcing department with supplier problems, cost reduction projects, and suppliers reviews
- Analyse, define, and communicate all technical documentation and internal standards related to valve systems in order to ensure the required level of technical knowledge within the Unit.
- Develop and maintain contacts with the customers in order to deliver technical support when needed and foresee market evolutions.
- Represent the Business Unit in external meetings and events, promote its technical solutions, propose and develop technical partnership in order to maximize new business opportunities.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity. Candidates who exceed minimum qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized university
- 7 years of experience in power electronics equipment design OR electrical switchgear
- 2 years of experience of working as a Team Leader
- Experience in developing designs and performing studies as required to support power electronic systems
- Full knowledge of all power electronics components (thyristors, IGBTs, snubber circuits, heat sinks, etc.)
- Full knowledge of power electronics simulation tools such as Matlab or PSCAD
- Experienced in the design and application of valves, primarily for FACTS Technologies (SVCs, STATCOMs, D-STATCOMs), highly desired
- Knowledge of other technologies such as HVDC, Drives, and industrial rectifiers are a plus.
- General knowledge and appreciation of Thyristor Valves, VSC Valves, and associated equipment with a good background and understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals.
- Some knowledge of electric utility (transmission) and industrial projects will be helpful.
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of International FACTS market needs and expectations (both economic and technical) will be helpful
- Customer process understanding
- General knowledge and understanding of electrical power system engineering concepts for Electric Utility and Industrial customers will also be helpful
- Affiliations with the IEEE, CIGRE, etc. are a plus.
We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and flexible work options, as well as a uniquely diverse and unified team of professionals. Our culture supports an environment where employees can continuously learn and gain professional growth through education, exciting projects and career mobility. ALSTOM Grid recognizes your achievements and excellent performance through various performance incentive, recognition and reward programs. Our commitment is to you, the employee.
Come work in an environment that is driven by integrity, innovation and visionary thinking. Join ALSTOM Grid today, revolutionize the energy industry and energize your future!
Alstom is a worldwide leader in power generation, power transmission and rail infrastructure and sets the benchmark for innovative and environmentally friendly technologies. Alstom builds the fastest train and the highest capacity automated metro in the world. It provides turnkey integrated power plant solutions and associated services for a wide variety of energy sources, including hydro, nuclear, gas, coal and wind. It offers a wide range of solutions for power transmission, with a focus on smart grids. The Group employs 93,000 people in more than 70 countries and had sales of over EUR23 billion in 2009/10 (pro forma figures).
About ALSTOM Grid
Alstom Grid, the newest sector of Alstom, has over 100 years of expertise in electrical grids. Whether for utilities or electro-intensive industries or facilitating the trading of electricity, Alstom Grid brings power to their customers' projects.
Alstom Grid ranks among the top 3 in electrical transmission sector with a sales turnover of approximately EUR3.5 billion in 2009. It has 20,000 employees and over 90 manufacturing and engineering sites worldwide. Its four main business areas are Products, Systems, Automation and Service. At the heart of the development of Smart Grid, Alstom Grid offers products, services and integrated energy management solutions across the full energy value chain--from power generation, through transmission and distribution grids and to the large end users.
Alstom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alstom is a Drug free Workplace
Sign-up for your free
power industry Job Watch.
Sign-up for your free